This page was created and is maintained by the Trustees of the Halton District School Board. It has been set up to provide information and avenue for Halton Residents (parents, students and community members) to provide feedback to be included as part of the Trustees’ submissions to the Ministry of Education Consultations on Class Size and Hiring Practices. The changes announced in these areas are:
- An increase in class size average by one student at the junior and intermediate levels (grades 4-8)
- An increase in class size average at the secondary school level from 22 to 28 students
- Four mandatory credits, taken online (1 credit per year – 35 students per class)
- Hiring Practices
The HDSB trustee consultation survey is now closed. If you would like to comment on the Ministry consultation, please visit the Consultation Information page to send an email directly.
On March 15, 2019, the Ministry of Education made an announcement concerning public education in the Province of Ontario. This announcement included :
- A cell phone ban in the classroom except where the use is integral to the learning, for health and medical purposes or to support students with special education needs.
- A new math curriculum that will focus on math fundamentals for all grades
- An updated Health and Physical Education curriculum
- New financial literacy added to the Grade 10 Career Studies course
- A revised First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Studies curriculum for grades 9-12
- That there will be funding adjustments related to GSN (Grants for Student Needs) including Local Priorities Fund, Cost Adjustment Allocation, Human Resources Transition Supplement, Classroom Loading Factors, Utilities, and Student Transportation Funding. (Adjustments will be known once the GSNs are released)
To comment on any of the announcements, please send and email to the Hon. Lisa Thompson or your local MPP.